SailNet Community - View Single Post - Adding a battery charger
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 01-20-2009
So might have around 200ah's as a house battery bank. Just a small 15-20amp smart charger should suffice well since you are mostly at the dock.
I agree with dawg about adding a breaker. I would NOT go for the echo charge in your case as that is $150 bucks of expense that you just dont need. Instead...I would wire your two house batteries in parallel on Position #1 of your battery switch...then wire your starter into position #2.
Wire the charger into the battery switch and MOST of the time just leave it on #1 but give #2 a chance at a few amps now and then if you have not done a lot of motoring or if you get a low voltage reading (12.2V or less).

I think this will be the least complicated and least expensive setup for you and will work just fine for your particular case. BTW...the IOTA 15amp with smart charging would be a good unit to consider:

The DLS-15/IQ4 features an internal IQ Smart Charge Controller which automatically provides three-stage battery charging for safer charging and longer life for your system's battery.

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome