SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Operation "Quick Fist" was a success. My emergency tiller is now snugly Quick-Fisted to the cockpit locker "wall", out of the way yet ready to grab in an emergency.

Overall, a very good, though somewhat expensive, solution. I paid $10.99 per pair at the West Marine. I used three Fists to mount the tiller. They're slightly cheaper online at cabelas.com and other outfitter sites, but I prefer instant gratification with small purchases.

Installation was easy, except that I attached the Quick Fists with screws instead of through-bolting them. That's strong enough for my purposes. However, getting the drill in place to drive the screws was tricky, requiring me to spread apart the rubber pincers of the Fist. No big deal, but more hassle than it should have been.

I liked Sap's idea of mounting the emergency tiller to the underside of the cockpit locker lid, but it just wouldn't fit.

My wife has already warned me not to sully the good looks of our cabin interior by mounting stuff all over the place, so I have to limit my fun. However, I'm thinking the berths need some handy Mag Lites mounted in convenient locations....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook