SailNet Community - View Single Post - Babas? +/-''s
Thread: Babas? +/-''s
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004

mdougan is on a distinguished road
Babas? +/-''''s

Sailingfool,

Curious about why that might be the case, I dug up the specs on the C&C 32s and plugged them into my trusty boat calc spreadsheet that dumps out all sorts of useful metrics.

First thing I notice is that the displacement for the C&C 32 is roughly half that of the Westsail''s 19,500lbs. So, the sail area/displacement ratio comes out quite a bit higher for the C&C than the Westsail (16 versus 14, where 24 is a major racing boat, and 12 is an under-rigged heavy cruiser). No doubt, this is part of what goes into the handicapping calculations.

So, you''re right, I should have said "after 5 minutes, the Westsail should be able to keep pace with any other modern designs of similar lenght and displacement".

But, it was interesting to note that the max hull speed of the C&C 32''s 24.66 foot waterline is only 6.65 kts compared to the 7.28 kts for the Westsail''s 29.5 LWL.. so in the right conditions, the Westsail *should* be able to put one over on the C&C.

Other interesting stats, the C&Cs capsize screening formula result is 1.93 (anything under 2 is pretty stable) compared to the Westsail''s 1.64 (guess who''s going to be harder to knock down?)

According to Ted Brewer''s Motion Comfort Ratio, the C&C is 25.06 compared to the Westsail''s 40.1 higher values denote a more comfortable ride with most mid-level cruisers averaging in the mid thirties.

So, again, if racing in light wind is your thing, then you probably won''t be too happy with a Westsail, but, in all other areas, it looks like you''ll have a nicer ride <grin>

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook