SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Buying new sails, need advice

6K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
The boat: 1975 catalina 27. Roller furling genoa, no adjustable backstay, only sail controls are boom vang, outhaul, cunningham, traveler, sheets and halyards.

The place: Western Long Island sound, near New York City, where the summer winds are flukey.

The plan: new genoa and mainsail, to be purchased from North, fx, or some other company that I can use to order by phone after I measure things.

The question:

What should I get? I want an "all purpose" set of sails, since I am not going to be changing them according to wind conditions (I know all purpose doesnt really exist). We generally sail in light wind conditions, pleasure sailing only, and daysailing only (so far), but we do like to go out in the occasional big blow.

Loose footed main or not?

How big a genoa?

Any full battens or none?

Anything else I should be thinking about? Sail weight, etc?

See less See more
#30 ·
THere is a tlak ring for C27 owners of witch I am a member you may want to ask that group since they are dedicated to C27 only. My sailst are North they came with the boat I do not have Furling so I have a working at 100% and a 150%. the main is cut to stock nothing special but then I sail on S.F Bay and it can get real windy. your sail will depend on the condition you sail in and your area, for this I would talk to other locals see what they are using see what works best for them and maybe get rides on some of thier boats. this will give you a more clear idea of what would work best for you!
Fair winds M Mcvey

#31 ·
My advice would be to go with a local loft, that the advantages of someone nearby who can accurately measure your boat and be available to deal with questions in person is worth the extra cost. Sails are inherently custom to some degree, almost regardless of how common your boats, and ordering them over the internet provides too much opportunity for a misunderstanding to slip into the process, a situation producing aggravation and weeks to months of followup to get corrections done. Been there, done that.

#32 ·
My thoughts.

Mostly, I'd go with Jason 3317, except for the battens.
More dousing trouble and pocket wear than they're worth on a summer cruising boat. You'd won't lose all that much in sail efficiency without the battens while cruising Long Island Sound in the summer, because you're usually on a reach.
And most of what you'd lose in the battens you'd gain back by having the option of tensioning a loose footed main for better sail shape. Been there, done that.
If you're interested in seeing what I'm talking about, look for a white and blue Bristol 28 at Champlin's on Block this May through October. I'm Ed, the sandy haired (what's left of it) dude dozing in the cockpit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.