SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spring Lines ---The Details?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
JLBJR, thanks for the link.

Actually, I have a copy of Chapman and I find the sections on spring lines a little frustrating as a singlehander. At various times, they talk about and illustrate, moving the fenders from position to position as the boat moves, they sometimes talk about someone on the pier assisting line handling, they show the attachment points of lines at various places as if there is knowledgeable crew on board. Where I sail, there is no dock attendant, if I'm singlehanding, I have no crew and can't be in three places at one time. Oh, yes, I really, really don't want to ding and scratch up the sides of the boat...after 9 years, the hull looks like new and I want to keep it that way if possible. And I just don't see how one uses the springlines to warp around or hold the boat in position without pulling against stanchions or scuffing the hull along pilings. I've also looked at a number of films and other writings on docking, and while they talk about bad conditions, it's always easy, with no wind or current when they do it, and truthfully, in most cases illustrated, they don't even need to play with spring lines. I'm concerned about when it's just me, it's blowing crosswind line stink, and the chop is throwing the boat around crazy. This is what I really need some help on. And despite the basic details I asked about, I really do understand the concept of spring lines (In a former life, I was the officer in charge of deck evolutions in the Navy on a destroyer). Thanks though, for any input that will be useful to me, in particular, and to lots of newbies that read these posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook