SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I hope this works since I am having trouble including the photo.

This was a very low budget addition that worked very well when we cruised to Nova Scotia last summer. There is a foul weather locker in the after head of my J40 but it was always a mess and no matter how hard I tried to impress the crew on the importance of keeping organized, things always got out of hand when it got rough.

I made the storage compartments out of Sunbrealla and 1/2 plywood. Each crew member has three of the vertical compartments, the top one for the jacket, the middle for the pants and the bottom for harness/inflatable lifejacket. There is also room for boots in the bottom slot with cutouts for the boots to hag upside down to drain. Nothing dries very well when rolled and stuffed this way but when you're in bad weather on a small boat nothing dries anyway, unless you have a heated space. Ya just gotta wait for the sun.

A couple of yards of sunbrealla and a piece of scrap plywood is my definition of cheap. (the grommets in the photo were put there because I thought I would need shock cord to keep the stuff from falling out when heeled. Turns out I didn't need it because it's tight enough to keep everything in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fwg-lkr-2.jpg (17.6 KB, 1854 views)
File Type: jpg fwg copy.jpg (13.4 KB, 1783 views)

Last edited by genieskip; 01-23-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook