SailNet Community - View Single Post - $1800 head
Thread: $1800 head
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 08-11-2004
kablotsky

$1800 head

$1800 does sound high, but don''t underestimate the cost of doing the job right. For example, while some marine heads are very cheap, the ones that will last a few years cost more. If it doesn''t have a head already, you need to account for the materials and labor to install through-hulls and seacocks. Odor resistant hose is surprisingly expensive. You''ll need a pump and Y valve, and of course all the fittings, hoseclamps, etc. If you didn''t have a head already, you may have some woodwork and/or glasswork. You also need to consider the tank vent and vent lines, the pumpout hose and deck-connector fitting. Even the stainless hardware to bolt the head in place costs more than most would expect. You add it all up and you''ll probably still be short of $1800, but it isn''t likely to be as cheap as you think.

One thing working on my boat''s systems has taught me is that everything costs more and takes longer than I initially expect.

Oh, and I have put a new head in my boat too. Removing the old head and hose was one of the least pleasant jobs I''ve ever done, and if I had it to do all over again would happily pay someone else to do it.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome