SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need some quick Zinc/corrosion help and suggestions
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need some quick Zinc/corrosion help and suggestions

I know there is a wealth of information about electrolysis and zincs and bonding and I have been trying to read some of it but I am sort of pressed for time....

My 84' Morgan 323 is new to me and as I bought it last Spring. I am storing it in the water at my local dock. Today when I went to check on it I took a close look at the shaft and stuffing box. I can't remember exactly what they looked like during the summer as the boat is still so new to me but today it looked very green and pretty corroded and I am almost positive it didn't look that way when I kept it on my mooring during the spring summer and fall. I changed the shaft zinc in the end of August so it has been about 6 months.

One major difference of how I keep the boat is that in the offseason it is in a slip, connected to shore power with a temp regulated heater in the cabin connected to the boats electrical system. Anyway I am going down to the boat again tomorrow with someone who knows a lot about boats and maintenance and I think I will also be able to see the condition of the shaft zinc since it will be calm winds tomorrow. (today was pretty windy and the water was turbulent so I could not see the condition of the zinc as it was very blurry)

So my question is lets say the water is clear and I can see the shaft zinc tomorrow and if it is very eaten away what are my options? The marina it is at now has no lift, the boat is shrink wrapped and there is no way I am de-winterizing it and sailing it somewhere else anytime before mid April. Short of paying a fiver with a dry suit, is there anyway I could hang a zinc around the shaft with metal wire? Place a zinc somewhere else inside the boat that is accessible? I honestly think the issue is related to the Shore Power since I never saw this the season out on my mooring and I don't want it to ruin my boat because of stray current. Any suggestions or help would appreciated.
Thanks in advance.