SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electrical halp?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009

21feetofnewb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 21feetofnewb
well, for an update. I've picked the 12 volt bible clean and even found a video at a library close by that used the book as a reference. So far here is the plan...I know I have a small boat, BUT regardless I am going to go with a 400AH battery bank. I have 2 100ah deep cycle batteries now (optima blue top...supposedly good for 350 cycle charges from 0% to 100% but I won't let it get below 50% anyways so....yeah) I am going to get two more. I am refitting the boat with an Ice box. the original ice box was side door...And from my understanding cool air sinks...doesn't make much sense to let moisture rich cool air come out every time I open it so I got a template for a top feed ice box. I am going to wire the batteries together using the positive side and from my understanding it will stay at the 12 volt range but add together the collective amp hours together...and Im all for that. The only major power draw I will be using is my laptop but Im running nav software on it too...I think i am just going to retrofit a dc to ac converter (like for a car) for now until I can set aside time to learn AC....im leaving that alone till I get a better understanding. I won't be using but 2 lights on the boat and the laptop when moored. I AM looking at getting a decent water turbine in a few months cause some brands can be converted to wind when moored. I replaced my outboards alternator with a 110 amp smart regulated alternator and I should be able to get roughly 60 ah back a day from that by running the engine for an hour or so...either way all is well I think with this plan I should be able to keep my usage down to about 50 AH a day. thats my plan. Hope I am making some headway....some input on this setup would be nice. I have plenty of room on the boat as far as storage for fuel and maybe in the future a generator for emergencies...

Looking for people to take me
out for a day. I have a boat but
no experience...let me know!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook