SailNet Community - View Single Post - We're getting hosed
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009

Hotpuppy is on a distinguished road
I'm repowering to a marinized Z500 (home bake 5411). Someone else did most of it. Can't for the life of me figure out where he got the plans and parts. They aren't standard and they weren't machined... they are cast parts. Not that machining would be difficult or expensive for this stuff.

How do they calculate the heat exchanger size? I'd guess that there is a formula that relates KW output to heat. Most engines are rated in Kilowatts as that is the metric way to measure engine output.

I find that checking the numbers has rewarded me multiple times where my boat is concerned. It debunks many myths and other expensive nonsense.

I also don't understand why the 5411 used such a puny raw water pump.

Speaking of raw water pumps. Depco in Florida is a really good resource for Johnson pumps. Volvo wanted $350+ and 4 weeks for a pump. Johnson had a retrofit pump for $165. Johnson makes Volvo's pump. GRRRRR.

Similar thing for an alternator bracket. I wound up making that out of a turnbuckle from home depot. Volvo part - $75, Home depot solution $3 and 4 trips there to find the right size.
Hotpuppy Too, Tartan 27 - Hull #71 - 1964
Houston, Texas (Kemah)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook