SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electrical halp?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
I tried to find a picture of the inside of a Kells 21'. I did see the outside of a 23' and it probably similar.

I am working on a Santana 21' for my winter hobby time. Going to be my "Gunkholer".

I enjoy the challenge of making a small sailboat comfortable. Everything needs a place or I can not need or want it!

I placed an AGM battery down below on the starboard side for when I use a Trolling motor to move in and around the docks. Now the boat lists (Tilts) to the starboard side. So, I bought another AGM to even it up!

Just wanted to be sure you take into consideration weight distribution.

I wanted to keep the original Fuse panel as it has the company name inscribe on it. There are holes for up to 4 circuits (May add one more).

Three circuits are already labeled so I just keep as is. I have ordered new fuse/switch replacements. Will even have little lights to show when something turned on.

I will have Volt and AMP meters mounted above my panel for the $200-300 Blue Sea look at a cost of $54, excluding wires.

For myself, the electric will be experimental as I will have a small refrigerator (Waiting on some spec info now from the manufacturer) and central AC (air conditioner and highly experimental). These two may only work when tied to the umbilical cord at the dock. Lot of number crunching going on now.

My electric concerns will revolve around the trolling motor, refrigerator and AC. If not for playing around with these, I have all the electric I need. The trolling motor being the most important. I not want a Dinoburner engine! I want to smell and hear the sea.

I will have Red wires (Positive) and Black wires (Negative). I think the bilge pump I bought has white and brown wires, so there are a few cases of varied colors.

I wanted special lights below to make my boat different from the norm. Electroluminescent strips are what I want to experiment with and I will build a simple inverter to power them as 12-24 Volt DC not work. I have a few store bought inverters, a small 400W and a larger 3000W, but, can not learn if we not build it ourselves.

I may have some bright lights, maybe something for reading, but, they not what I plan to use for primary low amp lighting.

I will have some LED stuff for fun.

Will it all work? Will know by this summer, if, I can stay on schedule. It cold today so I sit in a warm home and e-mail companies for some numbers. No cell phone or inet at the remote boat dock.

The refrigerator for $150 +/- can be donated to a college student next fall if it not work. The $125 AC may be beyond help when it not work, which we (I have friends involved) think may be a flop. Space being more of a concern than the electric.

The 50W Solar panel will not be able to keep pace with the AH usage, but, we hope it give a little time before we have to reattach the umbilical cord.

We are looking at building a small wind generator from a treadmill motor (or something similar), maybe it help.

This all takes a lot of downloading manuals/schematics, reading and emailing companies for specs. Then actually going beyond my numbers and experimenting.

I hope the picture work to help with ideas of utilizing space. This a plastic tub from wal-wort. If, my measurements are correct, 3-4 of these will slide under my cockpit for storage. The first in is least used stuff and furthest back. Small rope attached to each one help pull them out. There is still some room to the side to slide my sculling oars.

Well I not good at explaining things and may not have actually helped. But, I was excited to see someone else wanting to fix up an old 21' sailboat and hope you get it all to work for you.

Old sailboats never die, they just get new poly tarp sails. Well mine may be canvas drop cloth. But, that's another long story that I may not be good at explaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tub1.JPG (5.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook