SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electrical halp?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Ya know--

The more time we spend on my boat the less power we use.

A small battery powered boom box is more than enuff for a small boat.

Most of the light is provided by red led lights placed around the cabin for night sailing. A small oil lamp provides light for most everything else and it's light output can be adjusted high or low depending on you mood. Three 12v cabin lights are hardly used at all.

The vhf on listen draws verry little power.

We get into a habit of up at dawn and down at dark.

We may explore all day long just motoring and looking.

Sometimes winding up that 800# keel to get over skinny water or lowering the mast to get under that 13' bridge to go where few sailboats can.

Some days we just head off shore and chase the wind.

We provision for 3 days in two ice chests and after that we are ready for a trip ashore to restock.

The little 8hp outboard is equiped with a 6 amp charger that keeps the batteries top up when running at 1/4 throttle. Battery bank consists of 2 group 27 batteries the same as the tow truck uses (not deep cycle).

I also have a the charging system of the truck hooked to the boat to insure the batteries are fully toped off when we arrive at the launch ramp. A 2/30 charger is hard wired to replenish the batteries at the dock if we do that.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook