SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foredeck and Cockpit Awning Question.
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
My thought was to put 1" nylon webbing down the centre seam and along the edges. These will have web loops holding 1" rings in place for the lashings. I find it hard to believe that ripstop nylon will deteriorate that quickly. It's the same basic material as used in the construction of the upper portions of a tent.
I think it depends on how much UV it gets. Nylon tents don't actually hold up all that well when left set-up continuously in intense sun. I think that's why you see so many long-term camp-tents made out of other material.

You're up in Canada (yes?), so maybe the sun is not so intense up there and you may not use your awnings quite so much either. Maybe the nylon would be fine.

Think about the circumstance when you would use the awnings. It needs to be reasonably strong, because eventually you'll leave it up while you go ashore, the wind will pipe up unexpectedly, and it will take a beating in your absence.

Sunbrella is expensive but very durable and provides good shade. I think a lot more UV gets through nylon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook