SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on EPIRB or PLB
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 01-26-2009 Thread Starter
Advice on EPIRB or PLB

I am relatively new to sailing. My boat is a 30 foot Catalina and sailing territory will be the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds of North Carolina.

I have been shopping for an EPIRB and have read the threads on sailnet and other sources for information. The literature strongly suggests a full EPIRB rather than PLBs (personal locator beacons) for "off shore use".

I have been looking at the new McMurdo Fastfind Max G PLB 406 EPIRB. The device is waterproof to 38 feet, gives a 48 hour signal, includes GPS but not a strobe. Overall I am thinking that this unit may meet my needs as we are not actually sailing off-shore (generally in VHF range) and, aside from the strobe and rugged construction, answers many of the objections that I have heard regarding the use of PLBs as a primary EPIRB device.

I also have some minor issues with mounting and potential mounting locations, size and lastly cost that are swaying me toward the McMurdo unit.

Before I try to sell my wife on the idea, any thoughts from more experienced sailors would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome