SailNet Community - View Single Post - which 38ft boat?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
which 38ft boat?

To really provide a meaningful answer, I would think that it would be helpful to have more information about you and your plans. For example;
-How many people will be on board?
-What is your budget?
-How experienced are you as a sailor?
-What sort of physical shape are you in?
-Why are you looking at new boats?
-What is your taste in boats?
and that type of thing....

In a general sense, the sailing venues that you are considering permit and rewards pretty deep draft boats. Within the range of posibilities there are boats that run the gamit from high performance offshore boats to more conservative boats that are better suited for the kind of sailing that you are considering. At the higher perforamce and ease of handling end of things there are boats like the Aerodyne 38 that were designed to be a high performance offshore cruiser and at the low performance end of things are tried and true offshore boats like the Pacific Seacraft 37. To give a quick list of examples in between these extremes are boats like:
-Beneteau First 40.7 (better suited to cruising New England than the Atlaantic Circle)
-Caliber 38
-Dehler 38 (with some mods)
-Dehler 39 (with additional tankage and storage mods
-Hallberg Rassey 39 (If you can find one without teak decks)
-J-40
-J-42
-J-44 (at the extreme end in terms of a singlehander but a great boat for someone who is physically fit.)
-Oyster Lightwave 395 (These boats began life in one of two ways. Some where set up as performance cruisers and others as out and out race boats. The performance cruisers have proven to be good performance oriented long distance, short-handed boats.)
-Valiant 37 (Esprit)
-Valiant 40
-Wauquez Centurian 38
-Wauquiez Centurion C 37 S

I am sure with more time I could come up with a more complete list but this should give you some ideas.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook