SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storing foods
Thread: Storing foods
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Storing foods

My wife and I spent 2 years cruising in the tropics without refrigeration...or electricity. We stocked cans for 6 months at a time. Our method on cans was to mark the top of each can for contents, remove the label and dip the can in hot liquid wax. It leaves a coating that keeps them from rusting.

The downside is whatever you coat the cans with WILL get in your food. Wax is ok and not a problem but I wouldn''t use paint or any other material that could be hazardous to you health. Try it at home to find out how it works.

We took a few glass items too. Our preferred method was to wrap them in plastic bags that newspapers come in. Those bags are long, narrow and wrap easily...a few bags will provide a cushion and catch any liquid should a break happen. We never had glass break but were careful in packing. The bags are dirt cheap and you can buy them from the paperboy.

Eggs...we bought them straight from the chicken farm before they were processed. 12 dozen at a time. We didn''t coat them or do anything to preserve. 12 dozen lasted us about 2 months before they were eaten. No problems with spoilage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook