SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1972 Venture 222 - Keel Pivot Bolt
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 01-26-2009 Thread Starter
My keel is in sorry shape, I have to admit. It's the steel-encapsulated-in-fiberlgass type, and the fiberglass has come off before. Everything from below the bottom of the boat down (with the keel in the down position) came off because of a large crack and a bunch of zebra muscles. The steel was rusted pretty heavily--not wasted, but ugly. And because I didn't have the facilities to remove the keel, I ended up "splicing" the new fiberglass (rough job) to the old stuff left from up in the trunk. Before you see the pictures, I know it's ugly and it's slowing me down. I unfortunately only had the cradle for a few days, and had to do something fast and cheap. It has worked to allow the boat to sail, but it's not a permanent repair.

What's got me the most nervous is that when I'm sailing, and the boat leans over in the wind, I can feel and hear a solid "clunk" in the bottom of the boat---like the keel is thudding against the side of the trunk. I reallllllllllly don't want to run the risk of losing the keel altogether. Blue Water Yachts no longer carries keels for the old MacGregors/Ventures, so finding a replacement would be ROUGH.

How much does it cost to have the keel refurbished?

1972 Venture 222 "Chock Full O' Nuts"
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome