SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1972 Venture 222 - Keel Pivot Bolt
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009

CHOCKfullOnuts222 is on a distinguished road
My keel is in sorry shape, I have to admit. It's the steel-encapsulated-in-fiberlgass type, and the fiberglass has come off before. Everything from below the bottom of the boat down (with the keel in the down position) came off because of a large crack and a bunch of zebra muscles. The steel was rusted pretty heavily--not wasted, but ugly. And because I didn't have the facilities to remove the keel, I ended up "splicing" the new fiberglass (rough job) to the old stuff left from up in the trunk. Before you see the pictures, I know it's ugly and it's slowing me down. I unfortunately only had the cradle for a few days, and had to do something fast and cheap. It has worked to allow the boat to sail, but it's not a permanent repair.

What's got me the most nervous is that when I'm sailing, and the boat leans over in the wind, I can feel and hear a solid "clunk" in the bottom of the boat---like the keel is thudding against the side of the trunk. I reallllllllllly don't want to run the risk of losing the keel altogether. Blue Water Yachts no longer carries keels for the old MacGregors/Ventures, so finding a replacement would be ROUGH.

Pics:

How much does it cost to have the keel refurbished?