SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reverse Polarity Protection
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TradewindSailing View Post
The relay solution is great for high current devices. For lower current devices I prefer a solid state solution with very little voltage drop:

Source RECOM - Reverse Polarity Protection for DC/DC Converters

Nice one Trade. I like that low voltage drop. I might use one of those diode solutions too for some of the circuits I build myself because I am typically dropping 12vdc down to 5vdc with a voltage regulator, so a 1-2vdc voltage drop over a diode before it hits the regulator is no big deal. Of course for the low power circuits I typically build, I might as well use a cheap rectifier.

I built the circuit from the post I made above. I made it as illustrated, same diodes, even the same radio shack relay, but I took the output from the reed relay and used that to turn on the coil of an even bigger 10amp relay. Works like a charm.

The circuit a pain in the ass to build, with so few components you wouldn't think it would have been much trouble but I have wires all over the place, it looks like a .. I don't know, something really messed up is what it looks like.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook