SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Island Packet?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004

conchcruzer is on a distinguished road
Which Island Packet?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a used Island Packet. I''m debating between two boats. Both are built in 1999, the prices are within 15k of each other, and both are well equipped.

The first is a 380 in Annapolis. The second is a 40 in Florida.

I intend to use the boat for two years of full time liveaboard cruising in the Bahamas and Caribbean. I will be sailing with my fiance and an occasional guest or two.

The 380 seems slightly more manageable for the two of us, yet the 40 offers more interior volume and additional waterline length. Also, the 380 has a standard 4''8" draft while the 40 has a rare 3''10" draft and no centerboard(with lead substituted for iron to maintain the same righting characteristic and COE).

Both boats are equipped with a diesel generator, A/C, etc. with the 40 having additional cruising gear such as a watermaker, more spare parts, etc. The cost of the 40 is about 15k higher than the 380, not a huge difference and manageable.

Will the shallow draft 40 suffer in windward performance? Which boat will have a higher resale in 4-5 years? The 380 has just been discontinued and is the more modern IP design with a swim platform, etc.

Any negative comments on our intended use of an Island Packet for this purpose?

All input is appreciated.

-ConchCruzer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook