SailNet Community - View Single Post - How about a golden wrench?!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009

SurfingSS is on a distinguished road
How about a golden wrench?!

Ok, I'll confess right away,... this has nothing to do with a common tool being forged from a precious metal. This is about my dilemma that I now refer to as the "golden wrench".
I have been search for a boat for about a year now. (A lot of you have been a huge help in the process. Thank you.) I was set on a Cal 34 or a Islander 36. A solid boat that I can liveaboard, get some more sailing experiance, outfit as funds allow, and some day spend 6 months done in Mexico. You know, the working man's dream. A two weeks ago my uncle asked if I was interested in his totally outfitted Catalina 310 (2001). I laughed! He named his price, and then I could not breath. The price is AMAZING!!! I was set to purchase an solid old boat and I now have a great opportunity to purchase a very nice boat I never intended to be able to purchase. He throw a "golder wrench" into the works.
Here is my dilemma: I have heard it and read it time and again, Catalinas are good daysailers but bad bluewater cruisers. I'm now trying to find the line between good boat and bad boat. How about an extended coastal cruiser?! Would you take a Catalina 310 to Mexico for 6 months in the winter season (none hurricane season)?

Last edited by SurfingSS; 01-27-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook