SailNet Community - View Single Post - vang attachment
Thread: vang attachment
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
vang attachment

Hello sail guys and gals, time to rig up a boom vang. I have a Bombay Clipper31 with mid boom sheeting and a boomkicker but no vang. The issue I am struggling with is the attachment parts to the boom and mast. Seems like on the boom a boom bail such as the pic would be okay but putting a big hole in the boom is not my first choice maybe the hound style would be okay? Now the mast, no way am I drilling a big hole thru the base of my mast to attach a bail, no way. I thought about putting a mast organizer or mast step under the mast but, they all seem to be stainless and the people that built my boat put an aluminum mast step, which makes sense to me, I don't want my mast corroding to dust so putting a stainless steel step won't work. One idea would be to mount heavy pad eyes into the mast step, it's got lots of room about three inches all around mast. I know that the stresses put on the bolts will be putting an upward pull on the bolts so I don't think that is best either. Can you all give me some more options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bail1.jpg (32.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg hound1.jpg (18.9 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook