SailNet Community - View Single Post - vang attachment
Thread: vang attachment
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Good pic, Blu... the fitting I described could easily slide right down to the mast step plate.. the bar/rod that makes up the in-the-track part is of course drilled for the bolts shown. If the back of the track is drilled for overlength bolts then the fitting cannot slide under load either. It's also important that the outer section properly overlaps and 'clamps' the edge of the sailtrack extrusion. Your section is quite a teardrop shape by the look of it so take care that that outer section fits well. Otherwise there's a potential for the inside bar to squeeze itself out of the track. In other words don't rely on the strength of the sail track extrusion alone.

The one negative I see is, if the bar cannot slide down past your gooseneck and boom kicker fittings, you'll need another exit slot on the track.

If you have access to a machinist these parts are easily made (we've done that) and I think Sparcraft produces cast aluminum versions. The beauty is that if properly selected and installed this type of fitting gives you a solid attachment without drilling holes in bad places.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-27-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook