SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Island Packet?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004

conchcruzer is on a distinguished road
Which Island Packet?

Wow, that is a substantial difference. If I understand PHRF correctly, that''s an estimated difference of 72 seconds per nautical mile. Now I know it is going to depend on wind speed, point of sail, trim, sail condition, etc., but lets just say it is a straight up avg. difference of 72 seconds per mile.

On a 100 mile trip, say a short passage from island to island, that is 7200 seconds, or 120 minutes, or 2 hours. So, if I leave the dock and set off on a 100 mile trip, I should arrive 2 full hours after the Tartan. Is that right? That is significant in that It might mean arriving after dark vs. long before dark. I see the point here.

As far as trawlers, I like them alot. I prefer to sail and I prefer the sea keeping ability of a ballasted keel. I have considered trawlers, but never seriously. The lack of fuel economy is also a drag. I know some do fairly well at or near hull speed if they have small diesels, so I recognize and have considered that.

I appreciate the PHRF comparison, that is interesting and something I will seriously consider.

Thank you,
ConchCruzer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook