SailNet Community - View Single Post - barrier coat
Thread: barrier coat
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Last spring I paid one of the guys at my YC to sand the BC off and made sure I was the one working on the blisters that were under a 100 in number. But then who was counting? She's now sporting 5 coats of 2000E and I'm very happy with it! When we pulled the boat in the fall all the slime washed off and the WM generic bottom paint looked like the day we painted it on! Hard to tell in the pic but we faired the bottom where the so called encapsulated keel to hull joint is. It's still fair and unchanged so I guess the keel isn't falling off! I suggest any filling of dings or other blemishes are done with something other then pure white so you can see the repair. I had been using only West System products. So I must say using another epoxy product like Interlux's 2000E was a leap of faith and I'd also seen it applied to at least 3 catalina 30s. This is what she looked like after the sanding. We did not use anything less then 80 grit so the barrier coat would have a good bond mechanically as well as chemically.

Good luck on your project! system 3 is good stuff too! I used it on strip canoes long before I went to west systems.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-29-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook