SailNet Community - View Single Post - barrier coat
Thread: barrier coat
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

Barrier coat is a good thing, but it's a little more complicated than just "remove old paint, clean, apply barrier coat."

Depending on the particular barrier product you are using, there are all sorts of restrictions on when you can apply the barrier coat (temperature), how many coats of barrier you need, how much time you need to wait between applying the coats (and how long is too long), and finally, when you MUST apply the antifouling paint.

Note that most barrier coats are epoxy based, and epoxy tends to be slippery. Wait too long for the epoxy to dry and the antifouling may not stick to it.

Again, I used Pettit Protect and followed the instructions VERY carefully. I applied the bottom paint when the last barrier coat was still tacky. I had excellent adhesion of bottom paint. The antifouling didn't work as well as I hoped (a fair amount of growth) so I will try a different type next year, but the paint stuck well to the barrier coat, and I have no blisters.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook