SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which of these boats
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
I thoroughly enjoyed my Pearson 30 during three years of ownership and had no real problems to speak of with the boat. Could use a little more clarification of what you mean by part-time liveaboard, as the head accommodations are probably the limiting factor there. If you're talking about extended weekend trips, maybe even a week or two aboard, it'll do the trick. But actually setting up residence on the boat for an extended period of time (as the term liveaboard usually indicates to me) would not have been particularly comfortable, at least for me.

But as far as sailing, the P30 ranks very highly. She definitely can be singlehanded, especially with roller furling; mine had hank-on headsails which made that a little bit more of a challenge. She was fitted with a diesel instead of the Atomic 4, which I view as a plus, though plenty of people will defend the Atomic as well.

I don't have firsthand experience with the other models on your list, so I can't offer a direct comparison. But I would not hesitate to endorse the P30 for the type of sailing it sounds like you have in mind, given of course that the boat has been maintained appropriately. You don't want a 30-year-old boat that's been neglected unless you want to work instead of sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook