SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foul weather gear
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
There are plus's and minus's to both IMHO. IE the rubber coated you will NOT get wet from the outside. BUT< if you dress too warmly, you will sweat, and get wet from the inside!

The breathables in lighter rain or just say sunny but waves and water splashing on you, windy etc, at least the sweat vapor will evaporate to the outside of the gear for the most part. Not always, but generally speaking. Then usually it will repel water from the outside in, BUT if you sit in a puddle, or it is raining really hard, lots of water from waves spray etc getting on you, the material will leak outside to inside, or if the seams are not properlly sealed etc.

It is one of those you need to figure out how bad it is going to be, what conditions etc. I find at work, I can usually dress for the temp, and the little dampness I get from sweat is easier to deal with than rain soaking into me. Plus when you work in dirt like I do, dirt etc can get into the breathable fabric and cause it not to work, so it leaks, does not breath etc. For active sports I usually do not have issues with breathables, unless skiing I sit on a chairlift with slushy snow on the seat, the boat has standing water on the seats etc, then my butt will get wet really quick, hence why in these conditions, I like rubber bottoms, and a brethable top. Other time with light wetness, not sitting in water etc, the breathable bottoms work fine. This is where I have more issues than not

marty