SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ouch $$$
Thread: Ouch $$$
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
LBDavis,
I have heard that old analogy of sailing to taking a cold shower but when I heard it they were supposed to be $100 bills (the damp peanut butter sandwich is an apt but new twist to me). I think that inflation has caused the proverbial 'boat buck' to rise to the point of $1K at this point. If something costs you less then $1K then you are lucky.

As for WanderingStar's list of things to get for his delivery: sorry guy, it just can't be helped! For the trip from FL to NY you are going to want to have:
-that chart plotter
-a reliable autopilot (not one of the cheap ones)
-life raft/ditch out bag
-epirb
-SAT phone (minimum) or SSB (maximum boat bucks)
-harnesses & tethers for all crew on deck at night in bad weather
-Jack lines and clip on points in the cockpit for said tethers
-a Radar system would be nice too
-storm sails (actually not so bad $$$$ wise)
-drogue or spare tire to use as such with plenty of line
-dinghy that is stowable (preferably)

That is the expensive stuff (if you don't already have it) that was on a First 51' Beneteau I took a ride on from Tortola to Turks & Caicos. The boat had already crossed the Atlantic in the ARC (Atlantic Rally for Cruisers) so was outfitted to the hilt. Even though it was just me and the owner for 400 nm of ocean I was pretty glad to know we were well prepared (he was a veterinarian to boot so surgical skills were on board). I would have liked to help him get the boat all the way up to CT but both of our schedules got in the way.
I hear you thinking that people did this trip with far less over the years. Of course this is true. It could be done with far less. I have an idea that you want to do this trip pretty safely and be prepared for it though.
The cheap stuff for this trip may be:
-a Rocna type anchor and rode for emergencies
-the extra Jerry 20 gallon gerry cans for diesel fuel (about 5 of them, or however many you can stow safely)
-handheld GPS for backup to the chartplotter/GPS system
-handheld VHF radio backup(s) for the ships VHF system
-several extra fuel filters for your diesel fuel (you do have a diesel right?)
-a backup bilge pump that can be installed if needed (it is a wooden boat right?)
-tools for all the things you are not going to need to replace
etc. etc. etc.

I am sorry I did not get to speak with you more at Catenary Ales in Huntington. I can understand that you want to make the trip from FL in one hop rather then a few hops up the coast because of many constraints: free time, money and a desire to just get her home. I will only assert that life and weather happens while you are making other plans therefore keeping a tight schedule can create other problems. It would be wise to consider that you might even do this trip with a stopover somewhere like Beaufort, NC or Norfolk or wherever (a Plan B). If you stopped you might be able to exchange some crew as well.
I know that your original post was more about the cost of all of this rather then asking for others to re-think the logistics and I can only say that it is an expensive hobby if you plan to cover big distances.
It still sounds like fun.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook