SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hard Dinghys out there?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Hard Dinghys out there?

I’ve got a Sumner 9 footer and I love it! Its flotation tanks run fore and aft along the sides so she’ll remain stable even when filled with water. She rows great, powers with a 2 HP like a dream and tows with surprisingly little strain on the pennant. The 9 is beamy and stable as it has the same hull as their 12 footer but the bow is rounded and very buoyant where the 12 has the more traditional pointed shape.

I screwed a piece of exterior carpeting (found in a dumpster at a flooring supply), bottom out along the shear, took an old piece of ˝ inch line and rolled the carpet up over that then screwed it along the top of the gunnel. This has made for the best (and cheapest) rub rail I’ve ever seen and it hasn’t chewed any dings in my hull yet! I did replace the carpeting last spring as the old one was wearing out after 6 years of hard use!

I had painted her in the same scheme as the “big” boat, with a black hull. Along with the green carpet rub rail and round bow, she sort of brought to mind an egg plant, which is exactly what we named her: Eggplant!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook