SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are all the hybrids?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009

yellowwducky is on a distinguished road
Where are all the hybrids?

Hi all,

If this has beaten to death, please let me know but I haven't really found the definitive answer. I was reading about the system of Lagoon here

Electric drive for Lagoon catamarans

and an Outremer implementation here

http://www.aeroyacht.com/OUTREMER/42...UTREMER_US.pdf

To me, this just sounds like a great way to go; especially regenerative props that recharge your batteries while sailing. So, if its a hot as it sounds, where are all the hybrid boats? For reference, I hear there are very few of the Lagoons and one of the electrics that is on the market has been there for a long time. The Outremer article is from 2003 yet if you go onto their website I don't see any mention of hybrid systems (that said, the whole thing is in French; so much for 'english coming in January of 2009!).

I know sailors are probably some of the most conservative people out there but with the benefits I hear of, surely this would win people over? I mean, whats the worst that can happen, your engine stops working....ok, well it is a SAIL boat after all right? You could always, you know, sail to your destination!

Thoughts, opinions, witty comments? Why don't you have a hybrid on your boat now? Would you consider it on your boat if you were buying new today or in the near future?

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook