SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are all the hybrids?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-02-2009 Thread Starter
yellowwducky

Where are all the hybrids?

Hi all,

If this has beaten to death, please let me know but I haven't really found the definitive answer. I was reading about the system of Lagoon here

Electric drive for Lagoon catamarans

and an Outremer implementation here

http://www.aeroyacht.com/OUTREMER/42...UTREMER_US.pdf

To me, this just sounds like a great way to go; especially regenerative props that recharge your batteries while sailing. So, if its a hot as it sounds, where are all the hybrid boats? For reference, I hear there are very few of the Lagoons and one of the electrics that is on the market has been there for a long time. The Outremer article is from 2003 yet if you go onto their website I don't see any mention of hybrid systems (that said, the whole thing is in French; so much for 'english coming in January of 2009!).

I know sailors are probably some of the most conservative people out there but with the benefits I hear of, surely this would win people over? I mean, whats the worst that can happen, your engine stops working....ok, well it is a SAIL boat after all right? You could always, you know, sail to your destination!

Thoughts, opinions, witty comments? Why don't you have a hybrid on your boat now? Would you consider it on your boat if you were buying new today or in the near future?

Regards
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome