SailNet Community - View Single Post - porta potty vs marine head
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009

Roberthussey is on a distinguished road
portapotty vs marine head

I have a portapotty and it has a deck pump out on it. It was a kit supplied by the manufacturer. Most offer at least the hose connections for the conversion. It only requires the through deck fitting a couple of feet of proper hose, a vent and another small piece of hose and a few clamps about $60. In fact in the Great LAkes in Canada (and many other places) you have to have a deck pump out on any head including a porta potty. It is an inexpensive conversion. We have use it for over a week at a time before having it pumped out (2 adults), I think it has the large tank, 6 us gallons. I was going to change it out when we bought the boat but it has worked so well I decided to keep it. The boat never has any odour inside, even when it is closed up for a week in July, I can not say the same for most other boats I have been on that have a marine head. We have been using it for 5 years now. It has a few advantages, it can not get plugged up and need to be "serviced by the skipper" not a pleasant job. It will never sink your boat, many boats have been sunk by the marine head malfunctioning. Also it does not have a large holding tank taking up storage space.
Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook