SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 39 & Bill Lapworth
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009

pah is on a distinguished road
cal 39 at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
These are excellent, well built cruising boats. As Jody says..if you have the deep draft version that can be a pretty big problem in Florida and the Bahamas and in various other places. There is also a 5.5' draft version that may be better for your plans.
this is my first post. i came across this cal 39 thread re off shore cruising on them. so if paulaita might still respond, that would be great. or anyone elses two cents.

i've been looking for a liveaboard, 2 cabin cruiser. i respect the cal designs and though they are a touch light for my ideal, i know they are also super proven.

my main question about buying one is the vulnerability of the spade rudder. though i have not heard of specific problems it is a concern of general design and the robustness when abuse at sea comes on the menu. can someone speak to the toughness of the rudder set up compared to say the skeg hung rudders on boats like the corbin 39 which i am also considering along with a cooper 416.

not a statement that yes, skeg hung is tougher but whether or not there have been problems on these cals or the 40 or 43s

thanks.

peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook