SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do the birds eat your windex ?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
The birds don't bother it for a few years, then they start pecking little pieces out of the tail until the whole tail is gone. My theory is that the salt builds up and the birds peck at that, my dockmate thinks the paint wears off and the birds peck at the moving shiney spots. How about someone in freshwater, does your wind indicator disappear from the tail forward ?
Yes. But the bald eagles finish the job by attempting to perch on it...

BTW: Probably not kosher with a lot of PETA & tree hugger types but I have heard of a guy who knew a guy that had reasonable success shooting birds with airsoft guns. The bald eagles don't stick around when people are present on the boat, but for pigeons it works wonders (doesn't harm them, so I am told). I'm sure they feel guilty about little plastic projectiles in the water so I beleive they limit their work to semi-auto only. They probably figure the plastic pollution this method produces is offset by the decreased use in environmentally unfriendly deck cleaners. Of course this only works if you are a liveaboard or on your boat every day. And, probably not a good idea to use any of the airsoft guns intended to look like real guns... at least for you down south types.

Last edited by sailboy21; 02-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook