SailNet Community - View Single Post - What I think of the boats at the Strictly Sail Chicago
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
G- I'm dying to hear your review on the Hanse 400!!!!! It's not a boat I was familiar with prior to the show, but after looking at it, and crawling around on/in it I went home a have been studying up on it. I'm pretty impressed. It seems to fit the production boat concept (german version), but with a more modern hull design and a well thought out interior with lots of options to choose from. A few ideas that would be scoffed at by some, but are very practical in the real world. ie. There is a desk in the forward stateroom (if you choose the single head configuration), but no chart table on the boat.
My thoughts exactly. This was my favorite boat of the show.

First the bad things...

I thought the rig was simplified.... self tacking jib and such... I also didn't like "hiding" the lines in the debris catchers on deck...

The deck hardware was a bit undersized and in general the running rigging needed some upgrades. (Of what I saw).

I thought the Teak Decks in the cockpit looked flimsy and cheap. I don't think it was teak. I wouldn't go for that option.

Wasn't the hull construction epoxy? The displacement was about 18k if I remember correctly. Which is on the heavy side for a 40 footer. I asked about the PHRF and I think they are gonna come in about 120ish. For a 40 footer... eh...

EDIT: I THINK I AM WRONG ON THE PHRF... SHOULD BE BELOW 100 (easy) for THAT SIZE BOAT.

Apparently she doesn't like large chutes ... this according to the rep...

The Good Things...

I thought belowdecks was tremendous. Great Euro-trash Styling with good fit and finish.

The boat had nice lines... Sexy to look at and easy on the eye. Fat A$$ Mmmmmmm

Removable open transom thingy. Why again? Seems like a lot of cost for a removable dock box. Hmmmm Ok.. It did look good removed.

Twin wheels.. but I didn't get a chance to sit at the helm... could be a gimmick.

I wonder what they chose for spars... I saw alot of low end Selden (no offense people) spars out there... I'm guessing Hanse didn't go down that road.

The best feature of this boat? THE PRICE.

$215k sailaway with everything but electronics....

Structurally, I'm interested in hearing Gui's observations...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by craigtoo; 02-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook