SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel Filter Placement
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
The Racor filter will have a pressure rating somewhere, both burst and collapse. I looked for it but could not find it. Racor should know.

I reckon that 5 psi burst loading is not a lot for a filter housing to take, surely?

I still reckon that the pump should be upstream of the filter. Your filter is less likely to clog, as it is pressure driven. Your lift pump will not have to do work at all. In my own set-up, I can switch off the electrical charge pump and the motor still runs. The pump manufacturer very kindly has built a wee by-pass port into the pump. They are not expensive, at close to $80.

This electrical charge pump set-up is not for everyone. There is an added fire risk if you spring a leak, but fuel leaks out and not air in, and you will see it. When you stop the motor, you can leave the pump on and listen for the wee "rat-tat-tat" as the pump maintains pressure. It is a good leak test. Older motors tend to get a wee bit leaky on the fuel lines sometimes.

It certainly keeps air out of there, and the motor really cannot draw air without you seeing the fuel filter level dropping. In the past, I could draw air downstream of the filter and not see it. and not see it. I had that happen a few times in the past, and it's a heart-stopper as the motor slows, and coming into a harbour it is bloody awful. It does not happen now.

Bleeding your fuel system is much easier too with an electrical lift pump.

Last edited by Rockter; 02-03-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook