SailNet Community - View Single Post - SOSpenders, Mustang or ???
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004

dnr is on a distinguished road
SOSpenders, Mustang or ???

I have 5 pair of the SOS, automatic, with built in harness. I require them for all crew at night or in rough conditions, and for certain crew if they are novice or unstable on their feet. My family wears them all the time. I have only had one instance where one auto inflated without submersion. I had been working the bow in a race in very wet conditions. I was getting soaked by rain and waves all day. After the race, I drove 2 hours home and threw the vest on the kitchen table. Next morning it was fully inflated!? My biggest gripe is with the airlines who won''t let you transport them either in carry on or checked luggage. I live in Ohio and fly to charter destinations. Sometimes I can get the vests with CO2 cartidge through the airport and sometimes I can''t. When I can''t they confiscate the cartidges and I have to replace them when I get to my destination. Earlier this year the airport confiscated 4 of them on the way to Florida. I bought replacements and before I returned I went to a ''package delivery store'' and tried to mail them home to myself, and they refused to handle them also. I ended up sticking them in my carry-on and they weren''t detected.
Doug
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook