SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib sheet knots
Thread: Jib sheet knots
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
Lance,

I read your well-written response with interest. Here's more BLAH, BLAH

As a solo sailor, I had to figure out new ways of doing things. For example, I soon learned I couldn’t run back and forth to the cockpit to haul in or let out... the mainsheet. On my Hans Christian, as with many boats, the mainsheet goes from aft blocks on the boom to the blocks near the mast before returning to the cockpit winch. I discovered I could let the main out as needed before going on deck and then hauling it in as needed at the mast. I often temporarily cleated it off there also and that gave me the extra time to do whatever had to be done.

Regarding jib sheet knots…I'll add two more cents although I don't think it is needed. As you know port and starboard sheets are usually tied separately with bowlines. Two shorter sheets, instead of one continuous line, are easier to handle and quicker to remove, Also, if one of the sheets needs replacing it only cost half the price.

On the other hand, two bowlines tied to the jib sheet can sometimes get hung up on a stay during tacking. Using a long jib sheet attached with the one, much smaller knot (described below), can lessen that problem.

ONE CONTINUOUS JIB SHEET KNOT (sorry no photos.)

1. Measure the entire length needed of, say the port jib sheet. Start at the port winch, and include not only extra line to wind on the winch or the length to the bow but also the additional feet needed to attach to the largest sail sheeted in on the starboard side. Double that figure to determine the total length of your CJS LINE.
2. Mark the middle of the CJS line with tape

3. Feed the line through the jib clew to the tape then coil each side of the line,( the Port and Starboard sheets)

4, Face the clew with the Port line in your left hand and Starboard in right hand. Pass the coiled Starboard line OVER the standing part held in the left hand, then up, around and through to form a half hitch. Now pass the Port coil UNDER the the standing part held in the right hand, then up, around and through to form a half hitch. Work the knots together until snug to the clew.
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdreamspress; 02-03-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook