SailNet Community - View Single Post - If you sail Lake Huron, say Hi!
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
TSC tarp, bought two of them, only need the one larger one, which is what I'll do next year. I ran a 2x4 bow to stern held up by vertical 2x4's and tied to the deck cleats and mast. Kept it high enough to try to shed the snow and not gather on top, which will collapse everything, and kept it fairly tight to not have any slack areas to grab snow. So far it has worked, but I'll know better this weekend when we go up for a drive.

The sand bar off Beausoliel is great for entertainment. We were sailing out in the bay and I could hear the sound of a powerboat in the distance as it was passing by, when it suddenly stopped. Sure enough 36 ft'er ran himself right onto the sand bar at full tilt. He was standing in the water barely over his knees beside his boat. We continued on sailing for a couple of hours and passed by again to see the tow boat trying to get him off unsuccessfully. My wife was at a luncheon the next day and conversation with the guy sitting beside her lead to boats. He told her of his friends that had run aground the day before coming back from the Delawana and heading to Collingwood. Turns out he had to get the Coast Guard cutter to pull him off $$$$$$ since he was so badly stuck and had a tow back to Collingwood. Took out both drives, but luckily no leaks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook