SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

is there a place called little america

7K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  paulmcquillan 
#1 ·
so here I am working in miami.a place called hialea where the majority of the population comes from some carribean country,and few people if any spika de eng.Ive got a chart of the carribean up in this x ray room that they all gawk at.they all come from someplace on that chart,but not here.they are all into motorboats, or that truck tire innertube thing from cuba(KOOBA).now lets see, theres little havana,little haiti,and Im wondering...if I go on a cigar collecting cruise will I find a place called little america?where they only speak english?

#3 ·
Yes there is an actual place called Little America. It''s in Wyoming, it started as a truck stop/motel but has grown into a general rest stop half way across Wyoming. I haven''t been there since 1975 so it''s probably a lot bigger now.

#5 ·
here in the usa we have chinatown,little haiti,little havana,and probably other similar type places.without using the "N" word theres also lots of little africas.but I would like to know ,all kidding aside,supposing I went to a totally foreign country.Aside from U.S. military instillations,are there any places where they only speak english as a foreign language?

#7 ·
no.they already speak english there.I mean if I go to brazil,or columbia,or anywhere in central america,or any where in asia.I doubt it if there is a little america in greese or germany or mexico.thats because the new world(US) became a salad bowl or melting pot of immigrants from all over the world.no where else did this happen.

#8 ·
Actually, I''ve been to Greece several times and my wife is from there. From what I''ve been told (and can easily believe) many Greeks speak English. For some time now, all elementary and secondar students there are required to learn a second language. Most learn English, with French a distant second, and German in third place.

In Central America the country now called "Belize" was once call British Honduras. My guess is English is commonly spoken there. I think you''ll find English to be a common language among countries that were once part of the British Empire or were under its control for awhile. Some that come to mind are: Cyprus, India, Israel, South Africa, and many Carribbean Islands.

However, as someone who has traveled a bit, I think it is best to try to learn a bit of the local language and culture. Sort of a "When in Rome - do as the Romans" approach to interaction. Expecting others to speak English but not trying to learn theirs is a bit "Ugly American". :^(

~ Happy sails to you and Yasou! ~ _/) ~

#9 ·
You are correct, I''ve spent time in Belize and English is the native language. You can check out a some of Belize at www.belizeyachtclub.com The country is a neat mostly unspoiled place. They have a great native beer called Belican ( spelling may be wrong) which is served ice cold everywhere.

#10 ·
Stacresttoo

I think we have a "Little America" at the South Pole, if I remember right.

But; I understand what you are after here. Here in the states we have small, well defined, pockets of people all of whom have the same indiginous heritage. We then call that Pocket Little - Whatever their country of origin. You are wondering if people from the U.S. have grouped together in similar small well defined areas in other countries, thereby creating a "Little America".

The difference is that so many people from so many other contries have come to the U.S. in groups, families, and singles, all planning to stay and create a new life. They have for the most part, not planned to go back. So, if they can band together I suppose they feel safer and have someone to talk to in their native tongue, while they struggle to learn english, and blend into society.

So far the U. S. has never had a mass export of people going to any particular country, with the same goales of staying and creating a new life for themselves and their families. We have to remember, those people all brought with them a heritage of at least hundreds of years and maybe thousands of years. We are bearly 230 years old, and we have never gotten together enough to have a heritage.

So; do we have "Little Americas" scattered around the world. I don''t think so! But if things keep going the way they are, we just might be exporting a whole lot of people, going elsewhere looking for a job, just like all the ones that came here. When that happens, will they band together in "Little Americas"? YOU CAN BET THEY WILL! By then we will have pissed off the rest of the world so bad, they will have to circle up the wagons and stay together for group self protection.

Walt Ward

#11 ·
There is one country that may fit your definition of "Little America" - Liberia. In case you''re not familiar with it, it''s in African and made up by and for former US freed slaves. Their constitution is modeled after ours, and even its Flag looks similar to ours.

From the tone of the original poster, I got the sense there was some bias against non-English speaking groups in the USA. In case anyone forgets, (with the exception of native Americans) we''re all either imigrants or their decendents. Whatever was/is the native tongue, English will be spoken by them or their decendents in time. Patience is a virtue.

In the meantime, I suggest you get out and interact with these folks to sample some of their food, music, art, and culture. You just might learn something while they learn something about you, English, and America.

~ Happy sails to you ~

#12 ·
actually I did get a very strong sense of being a minority in this country.In a place that used to be a foreign country but what is now part of the U>S>A.I crossed over to the hawaiian isles 3 times from california .over there to be "bilingual" means you speak an oriental language of some sort.I interacted with these people and my impressionis the japanese won ww2.the loran beacons face japan,if you are anglosaxon you are HAOLE and not appreciated.(I mean blonde hair blue eyed type)You know da kine?any way I sort of fit in because I look portugee.the general notion that I got is that they want to seceed from the union and become japanese.Any way I was really curious to know if in fact I was to go to a foreign country,would I find a settlement such as aforementioned

#13 ·
I too have visited Hawaii. My impression was/is very different from yours. I was welcomed everywhere I went. Perhaps it had something to do with my philosophy of trying to get along with others as opposed to thinking they should somehow try to get along with me.

The same is true of all the other places I''ve visited, including France. I found the folks there to be a bit suspicious of me at first, but once they got to know me, they were warm, inviting and interested in learning more about America. The sad thing is that they seemed more informed about US foreign policy than most Americans I know. :^(

Perhaps you should be more accepting of foreigners in the US, since it wasn''t that long ago your ancestors were among them. Maybe your ancestors didn''t speak English, but in time they learned both the language and the culture. In time, the new immigrants will learn as well. It sounds to me that you need to be more patient, and understanding.

While overseas In the Navy, I was almost forced to go to places where Americans congregated. Being adventurous by nature, I soon learned there were far more interesting things to see and do if I ventured away from the "American" hand-outs. Those excursions not only helped make me a more worldly person, but during one escape I met my future wife. As the commercial says, "Priceless".

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

#14 ·
I forgot to add, in Greece there are quite many American expatriates. In Athens, many live in a southern suburb called Glyfada. Near its central plaza are a few American fast food joints (McDonalds, KFC, Dunkin Dougnuts, etc.) where Yanks can feel at home.

If being among "Americans" is what you want to do when visiting other countries, now you know that Athens, Greece has a place for you. Personally, I''d eat the local Greek food before eating USA fast food - any day! Don''t take my word for it, just ask anyone who recently returned from the Olympics.

#15 ·
First, let me say that I agree with Frenzy''s remarks.

Second, to answer the original question, Guadalahara, Mexico would qualify as a Little America, due mostly to the medical school there. Rohrsmor, Costa Rica has a high American expat retirement population. Americans are retiring to and creating English-speaking enclaves in other countries as well. These differ from the Chinatowns and other "Little" communities in the US in which the immigrants come seeking the benefits of greater earning potential. Rather, Americans are cashing out and dropping out, taking with them their First World wealth and buying up countries with lovely climates and low costs of living all the while remaining linguistically, socially and economically independant from the host nation and culture.

I would add that it bothers me when Americans do this. Not only is this unfriendly to the host population in general, but it shows a striking lack of respect for their new neighbors with whom they cannot and will not communicate on anything but the most superficial level. This also tends to create anti-American sentiment and governmental backlash against Americans who are perceived as rich and rude.

Chas

#16 ·
I never thought I would get such a great responce.This would have been a great subject for a social science class,or U.S. history class,or something of the like.If you ask me,maybe there are little americas .but they will never be as great as our own country,where ever they are.

#17 ·
The phrase "DUH" comes to mind. Sounds like you need to get out more.

I don''t think anyone really thinks any "China Town" in the US is as good or better than the REAL China. The same can be said for little; Amsterdam, Athens, Berlin, Dublin, Havana, Rome, San Juan, Stockholm, Wausau, ..., etc.

BTW, NYC was called "America''s melting pot", especially before the days of air-travel. However, the USA was not the first, nor the last country to have large imigrant populations on their shores. Austria, Australia, Belgium, England, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweeden, Tailand, and many other countries have (and continue to) experienced large influxes of foreigners trying to establish residence and ultimate citizenship in their respective country. Some ogf them have had imigration problems long before the US was a country. Heck, a few were having imigration problems before Christopher Columbus was born!

Take the blinders off open a history book. You just might learn something. I advise you do it before you open your mouth overseas.

#22 ·
Flicker,

Hello my good brother! Yes, I did get some sailing in recently. Caught some remnants of tired "Charley" as he marched on North. Great sailing!!! First day out,winds were 12-15 mph.Second day around 19+. Of the later,with my boat''s shoal draft,reefing was the required attire for the day.It was a hoot!!

As night fell the first day I found a nice quiet cove to drop the hook. Then I plugged up my portable 13" plasma screen tv,and dvd player.Watched my old favorite -"Treasure Island" - original Walt Disney version. Long John,Billy Bones,and Black Dog were all in their usual grand,knarly form.The original "Boys of the Hood." ha!ha! Those guys, what a bunch of characters! Arrhhh!!!

Challenges are a plenty, but life is good! What''s up with you my brother? Keeping the sheets tight and the sails trim??

#23 ·
Stede,

I haven''t been sailing recently. I dropped the mast and am about to rerig. Originally I was just going to install a topping lift, but when I saw the condition of the headstay I decided to replace the standing rigging, too.

Otherwise things are going well. Good to hear from you again.

Chas

#25 ·
Ahoy... Dis ere old Pirate wot ain''t got no good kings english thinks as long as ye is free to post me bail den yee''s a good americian. Aye me bailbondsman takes any currency wot he can squeeze ouuta ya so thats all dats important. Se Habla Espanole AARRGGHH. Sorry to say Id been freed fron me chains and once again sail the waves of enlightened mind!!. Pirate of Pine Island

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.