SailNet Community - View Single Post - $1800 head
Thread: $1800 head
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2004

waltward is on a distinguished road
$1800 head

I guess it was about 1970, I took my father inlaw sailing on a Pearson Ensign, he had never been on a sail boat before. By that time the ole prostate was not helping him very much. After being out for awhile, he said he had to go. I said "Use that bucket". He picked up the bucket, turned his back to myself and his two grand sons, and did his thing. He then turned around with the bucket in hand and asked, "What do I do with it now"? I said, "Throw it over-board", a bad choice of words. The old man stood there a few seconds looking at the bucket with a puzzzled look on his face, then shrugged his shoulders, and threw the bucket in the lake. It was however, a good man overboard drill, I got the bucket before it went down.

Now the important part. We all want to rinse the bucket after use, so we have a length of line tied to the bucket handle for dipping water over the rail. Be sure to throw the bucket forward, and pull it up and out of the water before you pass it. At six or seven knots a bucket can dislocate your shoulder or pull you overboard. I know. After all the years and all the time on sail boats, six years ago I was going down Lake Huron on a 50 ft. race boat and I made that mistake. We were moving at some where around seven or eight knots, in a fresh breeze, when the bucket got behind me, I almost went over. Closer to it than I ever want to be again. A stanchion saved me, I was able to get my feet braced and get the bucket back aboard, but I thought for a while that the shoulder was gone. It took all I had to get it done. I would suggest carrying more than one bucket, if you get in that position, LET IT GO.

Walt Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook