SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cats on Board
Thread: Cats on Board
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cats on Board

Myself, my husband and daughter are currently cruising with our cat Jeanie. She is about 8 years old and is a white long haired cat. When we were on land living in our house our cat threw up regularly because she was long haired. And she shed like mad!! So when we moved on board we had to make some changes. We have her fur clipped every couple of months at the groomer. If a groomer is not easily excessable we do it our selves. Gotta be feeling adventurus to do that! She is happier than a lark when her fur is clipped and resembles a miniature Siegfried and Roy white lion. We have been cruising now for four months and she has not had a hair ball yet. Also, she is also much cooler during these summer months. As far as litter- I checked tons of alternate litter choices for cruising and I am more comfortable with the new silica sand litter. It can be a bit costly but you can buy the generic brands at your local grocery and save. This litter also lasts much longer than ordinary clay litter so there is savings in the long run. And if it is stirred frequently there is no odor AT ALL! The part I don''t like is the litter I am constantly sweeping up from her kicking it out of the box.

When it comes to sailing Jeanie does a wonderful job. She has never had a problem with sea sickness (I was worried before taking her on board.. I had heard horror stories about sick cats) and has yet to fall over board- knock on wood. So I would say that it all depends on your cat. Just like people, some love living aboard and some hate it. All I know is on cold nights Jeanie is much better to have at your feet than a hot water bottle!!

Good luck!

Vanessa on Nereus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook