SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need an A4 Mechanic in Chicago

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  SEMIJim 
#1 ·
Hi All-

Im the proud new owner of a 1976 Cal 27 Tall Rig with an Atomic 4.

I've been sailing for a few years now, but this is my first experience with an Atomic 4, and was hoping that I could find someone to work with this spring to ensure that I have it in good running shape before she sees the water.

While I realize that traditional mechanics dont really "teach" while they work, I was hoping that you could also show me around this engine a little.
What I am looking for is a basic engine check; as well as any advice with regards to oil changes, new carb, fuel, fuel filter, etc etc .

I store the boat in Canal Street Marina during the off months.

I realize it is a bit early in the Chicago winter season to start worrying about it, but as a true Chicago sailor, the winters are the worst, and I cant wait to get back in the lake!

Please feel free to contact me if you have knowledge of A4's, and are willing to share or work out a deal.

Thanks!

~Bryan

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard Bryan!

I can't help you, unfortunately; but there is an interesting article on the history of the A-4 in this month's Good Old Boat. You should check it out.

#3 ·
Bryan,
I strongly advise you to find the Moyer Marine website and register over there to use their forums for finding out all about the A4 (moyermarine.com). Doing the simple stuff yourself (change oil, replace plugs/wires, water pump impeller etc.) is easy if you have the right tools.
There are a number of A4 owners on this forum and CardiacPaul is a surveyor who seems to know this engine quite well (but he is in south Florida).
The answers to most of your question(s) can be found over at the Moyer Marine forums in various threads. While you are at it, get the A4 Maintenance Manual that Moyer sells. It tells you everything you need to know about the engine (winterizing, re-commissioning, overhaul etc).
My A4 is 41 years old and still ticking.
Welcome to the club.

#5 ·
Did I mention that you can actually talk to Don Moyer and his parts guy (forget his name at the moment - his son in law I believe) on the phone? They are both experts in these engines. Expect a lot of questions from them about whether your engine is an early or late model or some kind of hybrid (like mine).
Of course, you can get some parts cheaper at a Napa/Autozone or whatever but the people working there will not know anything about an A4 'tractor' engine.

#6 ·
Hi! I'm in Chicago too..and have stumbled upon the best (& reasonable) engine mechanic. He is usually out the next day, if not the same day.

PM me if you want his #.

-Kristen

#9 ·
Hmm, looks like I can't PM either as I don't have enough posts. Kristen, can you possibly email me with the mechanic phone number as well, I need help diagnosing reverse gear issue on my A4 engine. My email is igor AT fedulov DOT com.
Igor,

This thread was over two years old. SailChick20 hasn't posted here in two years, and hasn't even checked-in since Oct. of last year. (I haven't seen her on the other sailing sites, either.)

As previously recommended: Hie thee to Moyer Marine. There you will find all the A4 help for which you could possibly ask.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.