SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising on Multihulls
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

Clare, I''d encourage you to reread all of Jeff''s reply as you''ll find a host of valuable insights there. We''ve recently cruised in company with a Lagoon 40 and they''ve mentioned every one of his cautions.

I disagree about cats being ''more'' or ''less'' comfortable: they''re just different in motion, which some owners find to be better for them.

To Max, here are two notes about Geminis you might want to consider. First, one fellow was trying to reach Key West from the Dry Totugas in his Gemini when the mast went thru the cabin top. The conditions didn''t seem to warrant this failure & the surveyor felt it was a product failure. Based on the owner''s description as I heard it, I think the offset mast support was the problem. Second, the MIKI G recently left California and completed an uneventful voyage thru the Canal and up to the Florida Keys. But they were careful to minimize their offshore legs and have commented they don''t think the boat is capable of true offshore cruising. Tony Smith is a great guy who''s succeeded against some amazingly challenging obstacles, but his Gemini isn''t an offshore boat, IMO.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook