SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road
Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat

Hi Jim,

Good to hear from you as well my brother.Yes, the article was referring to ocean cruisiing.What was a little surprising to me is the size of the suggested "ideal" length of a cruising boat.Apparently the average cruiser has a larger cruising "kitty" for associated costs as well.Clearly the advances in gear has changed the size of cruising boats.I''ve been thinking that a 37-38 ft.boat would be ideal for me, a single-handler.Several boats come to mind, but the more I consider long term maintenance costs,I''m starting to think maybe smaller is better.There seems to be two very distinct camps when it comes to hull configurations.Full keel vs.fin. Ocean cruisers seem willing to accept the loss of some speed for the benefits of full keels.As a single-handed sailor, the cutter rig makes sense to me.Or even better yet, a fractional rigged cutter with a removable forestaysail stay.I like you, like a v-berth. I like the airy feel to them. Anyway, the more I read, study, and talk to other sailors, the more defined my views become. Sail on the "true" course my friend. God bless!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook