SailNet Community - View Single Post - MaxProp or Autoprop?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by padean View Post
"If you read the MIT prop study the Max Prop develops about 2 lbs of drag and the Autoprop about 9-10 lbs of drag."

Do you know if the props currently made are the same as the props tested in the MIT study in 1994? Several props were not even made then, and at least some of the props have undergone significant changes in the last 15 years since the tests were done.

(Disregard if there is a newer MIT prop study.)

Of course, we are talking about a slight difference in efficiency and drag, and much of the choice will probably come down to ease of use, convenience, and local experience with a particular prop.

Same 1994 study but the differences in these props externally from then until now is very slight. I just finished researching props for my own boat, and I would guess the Max still has one of the lowest drags for a three blade prop.

I looked at many including Autostream (HUGE HUB), Max, Gori, Kiwi Autopop and others. I also spoke at length with my local prop shop about repairs. They sell many different brands and for them the Max Prop has been the most reliable but still gets no cigar from Mike the manager. The had a total of four feathering/folding porps in house at the time for rebuilds/repair ranging from $500.00 to over 1k.

My reason for not choosing a floder/feather prop was reliability and the fact that they do not like to hit lobster pots which can literally sheer off blades (had one in house that had happend to). We have lots of lobster pots up here.. My own prop shop talked me into a prop they don't even sell..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook