SailNet Community - View Single Post - MaxProp or Autoprop?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by padean View Post
The other question I would have is why buy a feathering or folding prop if not racing. The difference in drag can be made up by chucking a few of those extras off the boat that haven't been used in several years, and a fixed blade prop is essentially maintenance free (other than cutting loose the tangled lobster pots and fishing lines). As Maine Sail described, these props are not always the most sturdy. A nice 2 or 3 blade fixed prop will nearly always perform better under motor, and will certainly last longer.
That is why I went with a Campbell Sailer... I don't currently race and prefer the reliability over the .1 knot..

The funny thing is that a Campbell Sailer three blade at 4 knots has the same drag as a 2 blade Michigan Wheel Sailer prop and only about 1.5 lbs more drag than Martec 2 blade folder. In higher winds 12+ the hull speed is slowoing me not my prop.

I don't hear folks talk about this much but folders/featehring props only really help in lower wind speeds. Once you hit hull speed.... In 13-15 knots I can tow my dinghy with the motor on and still hit hull speed so at that point I could have a 2X4 as a prop and still hit hull speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook