SailNet Community - View Single Post - MaxProp or Autoprop?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I'm kind of in a similar position about where to go... My boat came with an old-style Martec 2-blade folding prop (no gears). It's in good shape, but once we splash the boat, I have a feeling I'll be unimpressed by it's performance in reverse, while being happy with the sailing performance. I'm also not thrilled about the potential reliability factor.

From my perspective, I'd hate to buy a replacement prop that would noticably slow me down sailing (I'm not racing, but like moving in lighter air on the Bay), but I'd like to be able to reliably back up when needed.

The Kiwi prop interests me due to the price point when compared to other feathering props, and I'd never spend the bucks for the others.

My problem is that I don't really have a clear picture of the actual performance implications of my current Martec, versus a Kiwi, versus a 3-blade Campbell sailor. I know the pluses and minuses of each, but how noticable those differences are is something I can't really quantify. That makes the choice more difficult.

Last edited by josrulz; 02-06-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook