SailNet Community - View Single Post - MaxProp or Autoprop?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
That is why I went with a Campbell Sailer... I don't currently race and prefer the reliability over the .1 knot..

The funny thing is that a Campbell Sailer three blade at 4 knots has the same drag as a 2 blade Michigan Wheel Sailer prop and only about 1.5 lbs more drag than Martec 2 blade folder. In higher winds 12+ the hull speed is slowoing me not my prop.

I don't hear folks talk about this much but folders/featehring props only really help in lower wind speeds. Once you hit hull speed.... In 13-15 knots I can tow my dinghy with the motor on and still hit hull speed so at that point I could have a 2X4 as a prop and still hit hull speed.
You are correct that once you reach hull speed, a folding/feathering prop will no longer help your boat speed. Dont forget though, windward ability is a function of the lift/drag ratio. If you decrease drag or increase lift, you can point higher for the same boat speed. A folding/feathering prop will give you a few points toward the wind with no reduction in boatspeed. My 2 cents......
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook