SailNet Community - View Single Post - da versus high tech
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
da versus high tech

I am quite familiar with the 727. I really love these boats. They are a miniature version of my last two boats (a Laser 28 and a Farr 11.6). Just for the record the 727 is actually design number 37 and the numbering of designs apparently began after a number of Bruce Farr''s early racing skiffs had been designed. That takes nothing away from the boats which were real ground breakers in their day, albeit (like my 11.6) a little sticky in light air compared to the newer designs.

I bacically agree with Quantum on using polyester for the 727 (except perhaps for a light air #1 genoa). The thing about boats like the 727 is that they need to shift gears pretty quickly and because of the limited nature of the fabrics available for a boat that size, dacron will generally allow performance over a wider windspeed range. I would consider a very light weight laminated genoa to improve light air performance. The other thing is that many areas give a credit for all dacron sails. This credit can vary from 3 to 6 seconds a mile and is really worth it on most small boats. I would look into a radial sail cut to minimize stretch but again I am not sure that is worth it for a mainsail on a boat that size. I successfully raced my Laser 28 with a dacron main and blade and a mylar #1 genoa.

There were a number of Laser 28''s that went to all Kevlar (Main, Jib and Genoa), but they did not seem to have an advantage except at the highest wind ranges and even there the advantage was not significant enough for them to win at the Laser 28 North Americans. Most of the Laser 28''s were using extremely light weight Kevlar #1''s.

Just out of curiosity, where do you keep your boat and have you had much success racing her?

Regards,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook