SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

wheel steering

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Sasha_V 
#1 ·
Due to a neck and shoulder injury I want to convert my 27 C+C from a tiller to wheel steering. Does anyone know where I might find the parts required to do this? Has anyone done this conversion?

#3 ·
Don''t know the nature of your injury and I love wheel steering. However I have found that a wheel in rough seas leaves me with some shoulder soreness. When gusts are very variable the constantly changing force of the weatherhelm, while not extreme, is such that I am sometimes sore also. Just a caution to give yourself plenty of mechanical advantage in your system to achieve necessary result. Don''t forget an autopilot so you can maybe take a break. Unfortunately the adage that "If the helm is difficult for you it''s gonna be tough for the autopilot also" always makes AP performance at it''s worst when you could most use it. Might also suggest you look at the Edson website & the 2004 WM catalog has page devoted to new Edson systems. Good luck, it''ll take you a week to get used to the wheel (everything seems backward somehow) but most people like them.

#6 ·
On my boat it will clear the pedestal but you MUST remove the wheel. Of course it''s so short it is only a "general direction" type of steering and could probably break your wrist in a rough sea. I have a knurled nut I can remove by hand without looking for wrench.

#7 ·
Hi I have a question for anyone who has an answer! I just found out that some people in the marina (Regatta Pointe) are going to be asked to leave in 24-48 hours unless they can come up with proof of insurance. Some boats have been here for years and they can''t get insurance on them. The ones I know about are well kept but they have a hard time getting insurance. And when there is a storm out there you can''t get insurance till after the storm is over. In Florida we have had 2 in a row and looking at a possible third so these people can not get insurance even if they could get someone to insure them. My question is I had heard that in Florida a marina can not ask you to leave when there is a potential storm or hurricane. Has anyone any info I can pass along? Thanks sorry for long post...

#8 ·
Soaringwind3,

Your post has nothing to do with wheel steering. You might better start a new message so people will know you asked a question.

FWIW, legal advice you get from Sailnet members is clearly only worth what you pay for it.

Were it my boat I would seek a lawyer who is able to act on my behalf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.